How do I take a stress leave from my job?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I take a stress leave from my job?

I had a major surgery that kept me out for 3 months last summer. I exhausted my FMLA last fall, so I had to return to work in October and was thrown right back into things. I’ve been hospitalized twice since my return due to complications. Now the district I’m in is implementing 30% higher standards than the rest of the company is held to. The new requirements along with the added stress level has adversely affected my health. How do I file for a stress/medical leave? Am I compensated like I was before for medical leave? Is my job protected? Currently full time with benefits; good insurance. In CA.

Asked on January 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should consult with a disability attorney in your area to discuss the possibility of filing for short term disability benefits either under your employers insurance or under the social security act.  When you pay in to social security - which you have as a full time employee - you are also paying in to social security disability so the coverage should be there for you when you need it. Someone needs to review your case and the medical records involved to see if in fact you would qualify.  Now, filing for disability may in fact have an adverse effect on your employment but if you are as stressed out as you seem to be and your job is causing it then sooner or later you may have to face the fact that this is not the place you need to be in the first place.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption