How do I sue the person that hit me

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I sue the person that hit me

Thursday afternoon I was returning to
work after picking up something to eat
and out of nowhere my vehicle was hit.

Asked on October 26, 2019 under Accident Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A lawsuit is initiated by filing a complaint against the person who hit. If the driver was not the car's owner, you can--and should--sue the negligent or at-fault driver and also the owner, since an owner is liable for the accidents of those whom he/she allows to drive his/her car. The court (either online or at the clerk's office) will have instructions on how to file a complaint and how to serve (delivery in a legally proper way) it on the person(s) you are suing. But you need their physical addresses to sue: service requires physical delivery in an approved way, so the first step is to get their names and addreesses, such as from the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption