How do I settle a land dispute with my neighbor?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I settle a land dispute with my neighbor?

They have built a fish pond and claim the open land around it is their property to plant on. We disagree about the property line, they have planted items that are encroaching into my yard, along with the fish pond equipment. I want to put a fence up, they tell me I need to have a surveyor come before I can do that. However, I have an existing fence on the right and left sides of my property. I want to close in my yard with a fence attached to the existing fence post and along the property that is disputed. What is the best way to resolved this? We have been disagreeing for 2 years. They now say my fencing is wrong; I have lived there 25 years.

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will need to have a land survey before you can do anything becuase you need to show proof of the boundry lines (are they in the deed?).  If you think you have such proof then you will need to bring an action to quiet title and to have them remove those things that are encroaching as it is technically trespass.  If you do not own the land then you need to establish you do by adverse possession laws in your state, which may be difficult.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption