How do I serve my wife

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I serve my wife

I filed for a divorce thinking she would sign
the answer but hasn’t. How do I put in the
papers to get her served?

Asked on February 7, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You go to the court clerk and ask them to prepare what is called a citation.  This usually runs around $8.00.  From there, either the sheriff or a private process server will have to take the citation with a copy of the petition for divorce and personally hand deliver it to your Wife.  The clerk can tell you the process for reaching the sheriff to deliver the citation and a copy of the petition to the S.O.  If you want to use a private process server, then you can do a search for licensed process servers via the Supreme Court of Texas' web site.  Attorney's tend to use private process servers because they are usually faster and more customer service oriented than a sheriff's department (and run about the same in cost).  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption