How do I serve divorce papers if my husband is in jail?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I serve divorce papers if my husband is in jail?

My husband was arrested last week. Since then I have found out that 90% of

what he told me about his life is a lie. New Link Destination
complicate matters, I changed my name at the DMV but haven’t changed it with the SS office. What name do I use to file for divorce? Do I have to go to SS and change it to match my DL before I file or can I go the the DMV and change it back to my old name and file using that name? We weren’t married very long; just about 9 or 10 months.

FYI, I will be changing my name to my maiden name.

Asked on August 27, 2018 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file the papers with both names if need be: Jane Doe a/k/a/ Jane Smith.  Is your husband in jail in Utah?  Incarerated?  You muct obtain his inmate number.  If you have his social security number then that should not be a problem.  Once you have it, the Sheriff or a private process server can serve him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption