How do I serve a company that has branch near me but possible headquarters 350 miles away in same state?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I serve a company that has branch near me but possible headquarters 350 miles away in same state?

Hi there, I am going to sue a dry cleaner for ruining an item and refusing to fix it or pay for the fix we had to get elsewhere. Problem is to sue i need their exact business name and when i searched on the California Secretary of State website’s business search, a company came up with their name, but it is 350 miles away, still in CA. Is there a way I can find out their branch locations so I know if this is the right company. And also, for agent for process of service, that is also 350 miles away. Should I be serving the location that messed up my jacket, or the headquarters location? Thank you

Asked on January 23, 2019 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the branch location is owned by the main company (rather than being a franchise), you have to serve the headquarters, which means serving the agent for service of process. If the branch is a franchise, you can serve that branch, since franchises are, for this purpose, stand along businesses.
The only way to find out the branch locations would be on the company website (if they have a list of locations) or calling up and asking.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption