How do I sell a jointly owned home?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I sell a jointly owned home?

I have been divorced since 2006; however agreed to jointly own a home with my ex via a separation agreement. The agreement states specifics on the co-ownership. At this time, I wish to sell the house and she refuses. I want to pursue a court order to sell the house. I know I need to seek “partition” of the home. How does this process work? What do I need to bring to court? What are my legal rights?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What you may need to do is to bring the action for partition couched in an action to modify your agreement.  Modification is generally permitted when a change in circumstances occurs.  Partition if generally permitted for almost the same reasons: when the property is too costly to contimue to maintain and one party can not do so any longer so they ask the Judge to split or divide the asset.  The court usually orders the asset sold.  This is not something that you should seek to do on your own.  You need legal guidance from an attorney in your area.  It can be long and drawn out.  Maybe negotiating a buy oyut would work?  Check out your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption