How doI see my grandfather’s Will?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI see my grandfather’s Will?

My grandfather left a house to me. My mother was occupying the house and after his death she remained in there until she named my sister as executrix of her Will. Now I can’t speak to her, she ignores me. There is an attorney handling the matter of the Wills but he won’t give me information either at least until he speaks to my sister on the matter. This is because she was a client in a previous matter in their office. Her permission is required to say what gets told to me because the state bar says so.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your were named as a beneficiary under your grandfather's will where he supposedly left a home to you as a bequest, you are entitled to receive a copy of the will to read and review from the executor of his estate and the attorney handling the estate's probate.

I suggest you write the executor of your grandfather's estate and the attorney handling the probate seeking a copy of the will as you are supposedly named as a beneficiary under it. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

If there is a probate filed concerning your grandfather's estate, go down to the county court house in the county where your grandfather resided and ask to the court clerk to see the probate file. A probate is a public proceeding where all can view the probate file. The will of your grandfather should be in the probate file. You can ask the court clerk for a copy of the will for your records.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption