How do I respond to a civil summons?

UPDATED: May 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I respond to a civil summons?

I have an outstanding medical bill that has been sent to the hospital’s attorney. I have already made arrangements with the hospital’s attorney to make payments each month. I am unsure of the proper response to a civil summons in IN.

Asked on May 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If you receive a summons (and presumably also the complaint that goes with it), you *must* file and answer within a short period of time or else you will lose by default (like forfeiting a ball game by not showing up). If you contact your court--for example, go to your state or local court system's website--you should be able to find information about answering a summons, such as the court rules which tell you how long and what needs to be in the answer, or information about format, length, etc. You can also go to the court and ask the clerk--they usually have resources available to help pro se litigants, or people representing themselves.

2) Note however that what you should do, unless the summons is for a very small amount, is retain an attorney to answer for  you, negotiate with the hospital if appropriate, etc.

3) Important: if there was an agreement between you and the hospital (or the hospital's lawyer) about a payment plan, the hospital MUST honor that agreement. It must have been a firm agreement, not merely discussions or negotiations; and if you had nothing in writing, it may be difficult to prove.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption