How do I request estate banking records?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I request estate banking records?

My uncle told me yesterday that my aunt has spent my grandmother’s entire estate; that every penny of each of the 9 beneficiaries personal portion they were to recieve is completely gone and that she spend all of the estate money on herself and her personal gains. I don’t know what the next step is.

Asked on February 9, 2015 under Estate Planning, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your aunt for conversion.  Conversion is theft in a civil case.  During the course of litigation, you can serve your aunt by mail with a request for production of documents in which you would request the estate bank records.

Damages (monetary compensation in a lawsuit for conversion) is a forced sale which means returning the funds or items that were purchased with the funds or their value to the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption