How doI report the theft and selling of company property by co-workers without losing my job?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI report the theft and selling of company property by co-workers without losing my job?

My supervisor has been stealing company wood pallets and selling them for personal profit for the last 3 months and another co-worker has been stealing and selling company cardboard for personal profit for the same amount of time. There are only 4 of us working in this warehouse; our main company and personnel are in another state so there is no other supervision here. I don’t want to lose my job but this is illegal.

Asked on August 18, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In California an employee cannot be fired in retaliation for "whistle blowing" or reporting  perceived illegal activities at work. by his or her employer. You need to contact your company's human resources department presumably out of state and request a telephonic meeting assuming your company has such a department to discuss your concerns about illegal activities at work.

If you do not have a human resources department, you need to have a telephonic meeting with someone with your company located in the other state about what you have observed. After you have this meeting, follow up with a confirming e mail to this person keeping a copy of it for future need.

Good luck. I'd like to have an employee like you in my office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption