How do I reply to a notice about a lawsuit?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I reply to a notice about a lawsuit?

My wife and I received a notification in the mail that there is a lawsuit entered against us in another state. We have been trying to find out who to reply to within the 20 day period but we have not been able to get any information.

Asked on October 16, 2011 under Accident Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to respond about a lawsuit that was mailed to you before a default is entered against you (you lose by failing to respond to it) is to hire a lawyer to represent you. It is difficuly to defend yourself in a lawsuit in your own state if you are not a lawyer but the challenge is even greater when the lawsuit is venued in another state.

As to the lawsuit that you have been served with, try going online regarding the county and state where it was filed. The court system may allow access to you that way as opposed to having to drive to the courthouse where the lawsuit was filed and pulling the court file against you.

The way to respond to the lawsuit is to answer it typically by denying the claims and setting forth affirmative defenses. The answer needs to be served upon the plaintiff's attorney and filed with the court. There are forms or templates to follow that you can review online or better yet, you can go down to your county law library and get a form from various law book guides.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption