How do I remove people from my deceased father’s house?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I remove people from my deceased father’s house?

My father passed away leaving no Will. The legal heirs would be my brother, sister and myself (father divorced long ago). No probate actions or administrator appointed yet. My brother has moved in his ex-girlfriend, my ex-wife and some other people. No one else in the family agrees with this and wishes to remedy this situation. These people who have been staying there recently without legal permission, rent, contract or otherwise need to leave. Are they trespassing (police matter), or is there some other method needed to remove them? I believe they have been staying there unlawfully.

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


Christopher Vaughn-Martel / VAUGHN-MARTEL LAW

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, I am sorry to hear you have lost your father.  Somebody should move to become administrator of your father's estate in order to properly manage the property.  You may not evict them if they legally own the property.  You really need to meet with a probate administration attorney.  Something will need to be done with the property if the heirs cannot agree on how to manage it as co-owners.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption