How do I remove a person’s name from a mortgage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I remove a person’s name from a mortgage?

My ex-girlfriend and i bought a home together 8 years ago. She moved out of house 2 years later to a different county and I had her address changed. I have asked her to take name off numerous times and response is no. I have been paying mortgage and utility bills for past 6 years with financial help from her.

Asked on February 13, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your ex-girlfriend's name is on the deed, then she is a legal owner of the property, even if she has not contributed to paying the mortgage, etc. for several years (or ever). If she won't agree to take her name of off the property, then you can file for a "partition". In such an action, the court will order that the property be divided, if possible. If not, such as in your case, the court will order a "sale in lieu of partition". Accordingly, the property will be ordered to be sold but first any party who wants to keep the property can buy out the other owner. Under such a purchase, the selling party will be entitled to their equitable share. This means that all of the mortgage, tax and maintenance payments that you alone made, as well as any down payment that you made, will factor into just how much your ex-girlfriend will be owed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption