How do I recieve money that was amended in my trust fund?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I recieve money that was amended in my trust fund?

My great grandfather left me money in a trust fund. I believe it was a trust fund. I received less then half of the money that was left to me. The documentation that I had received said that the majority of it was amended. I did some research and got a vague idea of what it means. I would like to know how I could go about receiving the money that was amended. I know that the money that I was left was in an account collecting interest. To be honest I’m not really clear on how things came to be or whats going on. I just know that nothing really seems to add up and I want things to be resolved.

Asked on July 16, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your great grandfather amended the trust fund while he was alive, he could have absolutely changed the amount awarded to you. As to the trust itself, who was the trustee after he died? Does the documentation you have show who the trustee is? If it was in any way amended post his death or the trust raided post his death through that trustee, you need to find out why and what happened to the money. This is the only way to truly get the answer you need. You need to backtrack and start from the first document and move forward while tracing the monies. If you are considered this is going to be too difficult, start asking family members (those you trust) and perhaps you might get a play by play history.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption