How do I put my dead beat boyfriend of 4 years out of my house?

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I put my dead beat boyfriend of 4 years out of my house?

He pays up to $400 a month in rent and he gives me his link card to purchase groceries. I’m sick and tired of his ignorant ways. I think he may be violent when I give him the message to leave. What do I need to do?

Asked on April 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

As to getting him out you need to evict him if he will not go voluntarily.  You will need to give him 30 days notice and have it properly served.  If he does not move after 30 days you need to serve him with a petition to evict him.  But I am worried about what you re saying about his being violent.  Is there anyone that you can have there that can help to sooth him or smooth things over (and protect you in case)?  If he does over react you may need a restraining order.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption