How do I obtain payment from someone who lived in my home as a renter?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I obtain payment from someone who lived in my home as a renter?

I have a paper he signed stating he knows he owes me a certain dollar amount.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former tenant for the amount you are owed.  The paper you mentioned that he signed will provide evidence of the amount you are owed.  If the court rules in your favor, you should obtain a wage garnishment in order to enforce the judgment because given his track record, he might not pay the court judgment unless you have a wage garnishment.

Depending on the amount you are owed, you may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover ) would be the amount you are owed plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

Small Claims Court might have a legal adviser to help you complete the appropriate forms to file your lawsuit and answer any questions you may have about Small Claims Court procedures.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption