How do I obtain a copy of my trust fund?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I obtain a copy of my trust fund?

I am a beneficiary to a trust that my grandmother set up for me when I was born. I was wondering how I could obtain a copy of my trust fund. I have never been told anything about the trust other than I had one. I just want to know the details of it and the terms and conditions if there are any.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a beneficiary under a trust established for you by your grandmother, you should simply ask the trust's trustee for a copy of it. The trustee has an ethical duty to provide you with a copy of the trust since you are one of its beneficiaries.

If you do not know who the trustee is, I suggest that you ask a family member if he or she knows who the trustee is so you can make contact with him or her. Since you have been told about the trust by someone, then that person presumably has more information about the trust such as the name or names of the trustee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption