How do I make a small claims court case across state lines?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I make a small claims court case across state lines?

I live in OR, worked together with two partners from different states to

write a book, and we got some money from Kickstarter. One partner had a

Asked on March 5, 2017 under Business Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue across state lines, but not in small claims court: small claims does not reach across state lines. You'd have to file in "regular court," which will greatly increase the cost and procedural complexity. 
2) You can't sue in any event without a physical address: a lawsuit is started by "serving" the papers (the summons and complaint) on someone at a physical address. It is doing that which gives the court jurisdiction, or power, over the defendant (person being sued). Without a phsyical address, the court will have no power over him and you can't bring the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption