How do I lift a bench warrant that had nothing to do with me and can I sue?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I lift a bench warrant that had nothing to do with me and can I sue?

I got a ticket from animal control agent who just happened to show up at my door back 6 months ago. My wife and I live with my mother, who was not home that day, but I was, further more, I was the only one with a picture Id, so long story short, I got the ticket for un registered animals. As stated above, I do not own my home, which makes my mother responsible for the ticket, so she paid it, but now there is a bench warrant out for my arrest, even though my mother has written proof that the fine was paid. She also had the court defer the case to her.

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will have to go before the judge to clear up the issue of the erroneous bench warrant. Unless the warrant has been issued for a separate matter, then you will have to provide the court and the prosecutor with proof that your mother absolve all criminal responsibility for the citation and that you have been erroneously issued a bench warrant in this matter. This can be done by contacting the court to get a new court date and you will want to bring your mother and proof that the ticket was paid with you on that day.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption