How do I handle a case of sexual harassment at work?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I handle a case of sexual harassment at work?

I am a 16 year old girl, and I work for a fast-food chain. I have recently had some serious sexual harassment problems coming from my 38 year old manager. I reported him to the store manager and wrote a statement and everything else that comes with that. As far as I have seen, she did nothing but talk to him about it. She scheduled us for separate shifts for a while, but has been scheduling me to work with him quite a bit the last few weeks. I don’t want to quit my job, but I do not want to be in an unsafe environment. How could I handle this legally?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Uncategorized, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your store manager has done nothing about the sexual harassment coming from the your 38 year old manager you need to immediately do the following:

1. go down to the local labor department and make a complaint as to what is going on and the failure of the store's manager to remedy the situation for your safety and protection;

2. contact an attorney who practices employment law immediately for a consultation.

You have the right to be left free from this unwarranted and illegal harassment in the work place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption