how do I go about this

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do I go about this

This is my first time I have ever had to file a claim with my insurance company and needing legal advice. Me And my 14yr old daughter were in a car accident on Saturday night May 11-2019. The accident wasn’t my fault it was the other persons fault. I had a green light I was going south bound while the other car was on other other side of the road and she pulled out in front of me trying to turn to go west on the 101 freeway. I have files a claim with my insurance company and I have followed up with her insurance company I just need to know how I go about getting a rental vehicle or what my vehicle is totaled

Asked on May 14, 2019 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do you have rental coverage on your own insurance, which would apply to this situation? If you do, your insurer needs to pay for your rental, and you should speak to them about how to arrange this. They must provide you the coverage in your policy (which is a contract) and for which you paid.
However, if you don't have rental coverage in your own policy, if the other driver's insurer does not voluntarily pay for coverage (or generally offer you an acceptable settlement), you'd have to sue the other driver for the various costs and losses you suffered, like the value of your car and the cost of a rental for a reasonable time. The problem you face is that the other driver's insurer is the other driver's insurer, not yours; it does not have any duty or obligation directly to you. It's obligtation is to pay on behalf of its driver (up to policy limits) when its driver has to pay. While the other driver's insurer will often voluntarily pay or settle a case, to resolve it without the cost of defending a lawsuit, they don't have to; until and unless there is court order or judgment in your favor against the other driver, the other driver and/or his insurer do not have to pay anything. They can refuse to pay and force you to sue; or they can offer you a settlement lower than you'd like (e.g. without rental reimbursement) and force you to decide between taking the settlement and getting some money now, without the cost and uncertainty (no case is ever 100% certain) of a lawsuit; or refusing the low settlement and taking the time and spending the money to sue, and not getting paid, even if you win, for months or longer.
In the interim, if they are not offering you anything and you have to look into suing, you will have to pay for your own rental car (again, unless your own policy gives you rental car coverage), then seek reimbursement from the other side in the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption