How do I go about suing someone for the money thatthey owe me?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about suing someone for the money thatthey owe me?

I let someone over $2,000 and they said they would pay me back. Every time I asked them if they where going to pay me back they said yes. Well I got into a relationship with someone and now they don’t want to pay me back. They said that who I’m with now can pay off my credit card that they are not going to give me one dime of it. This person has told this to other people and every time I try to talk to them about it they won’t talk to me. I’ve gave them more than enough time to try and make an effort to pay me back but they won’t give me money now or talk to me about the issue.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A loan, even if there was only an oral (verbal) promise to repay is enforceable--though obviously, if there is no written agreement, it can be more difficult to prove the terms of the loan, or even that it was a loan (and not, for example, a gift). That said, if there was a loan and it has not been repaid, you may sue the other party. You could hire a lawyer to bring the lawsuit for you, though for the amount of money you indicate, the lawyer's fees could eat up most or all of what you hope to recover. Or you  could act as your own lawyer and institute a lawsuit by filing a summons and complaint, probably in small claims court. Contact your local court, either in person or on the web, to find instructions and sample forms. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption