How do I go about suing a former roomate over unpaid rent?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about suing a former roomate over unpaid rent?

I was evicted from a townhouse that was in my name as well. The other person made an arrangement after I moved out to continue paying but she didn’t hold up her end. My account was garnished because she wasn’t making the payments and didn’t have a bank account. I live in MD now but the apartment she owes is in VA, so I’m not sure which state that I have to file for a lawsuit in.

Asked on August 27, 2011 Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Venue (location for the filing of a lawsuit) in your situation would either be in the county and state where your former roommate lives, or the county and state where the agreement was entered into where she was to continue making payments which she failed to do.

The venue for the lawsuit that you want to file against your former roommate for monies you ended up paying on her behalf would either be in Virgina and in the county where the apartment is located, or the county and state where she is currently living.

Depending upon how much you incurred, a small claims action may be the route for you to pursue. In such an action you will need to file a complaint amd have your former roommate served with the summons and complaint personally if possible where a court date will be set on the complaint.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption