How do I go about reporting someone who harassed me and threatened me thru text messages?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about reporting someone who harassed me and threatened me thru text messages?

I was harassed and threatened thru texts from a person I know thru someone else.
They made a lot of false accusations about me, harassed me, and threatened to
come to my home to make me ‘suffer the consequences’. This is all because I had
an affair with a man who was married and I didn’t know. What are my first steps
and how will the process go about?

Asked on October 1, 2016 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Reporting it is easy: print out copies of the text messages and bring them to your local police department: explain what happened to the police, show them the messages, and say that you want to file a complaint. The police will then advise you of your options, such as pressing charges, or applying for a protective order, and also of next steps.
The important thing is to bring print outs: the police will need hardcop for their file.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption