How do I go about obtaining a home that was illegally purchased in my name?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about obtaining a home that was illegally purchased in my name?

As of 11 years ago, I received my very first copy of my credit report and it revealed a home that was purchased but I have never been to the city it is in or even purchased a home in my life. This home is attached to my credit report and my SSN. How do I go about obtaining that home or getting a form of justice for the illegal purchase of the home.

Asked on June 19, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't get the home: the fact that someone either deliberately purchased it in your name or that there was some mix-up somehow and it was accidently attached to you does NOT give you the right to property you never paid for. (If this was a mistake, the home belongs to the true owner; if a criminal act, it will likely go back to the seller, if he/she was never paid or not paid in full, or possibly to a bank if there is loan being defaulted on or which should never have been granted in the first place.) What you can and should do is get this cleared up: contact the county clerk's office in the county where the home is located, explain the situation to them, and find out what you need to do, and what documentation, forms, evidence, etc. you need, to this removed from your name. Once you do that, contact the credit reporting agencies with evidence that you are no longer associated with the home and have them correct their entries. If you find out who did this and caused you to have to take action to clear this up, you may be able to sue him/her for any costs you incurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption