How do I go about getting compensation? Do I have a law suit?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting compensation? Do I have a law suit?

I work at an IHOP and have dealt with a manager sexually harassing me since employed. He comes up and whispers,

Asked on September 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You write that when you let "management know and they reviewed the video with audio and heard and saw it [t]hey since fired him...." If he was fired after management review of his behavior you do not have a lawsuit: an employer cannot stop an employee from sexually harassing in the first place--the employer does not have mind control. Their obligation is to investigate and, if harassment is found, take reasonable and effective steps to stop it, like firing the harasser. According to what you write, that's what they did--they fulfilled their obligations, and therefore are not liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption