How do I go about getting the names added to the title of a house deed?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting the names added to the title of a house deed?

Currently the house is only in my mother’s name. My mom wants to add our names to the deed to avoid probate. I was told that a person must live in the house that has his name on the deed (able to claim Homestead exemption) in order to avoid any creditors to put lien on the property. How do I go about getting the names added to include person not living in the house? Would it be best to re-title the deed using a quitclaim deed as “mom’s name, children’s names living in the house, Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivorship and In Trust Of [child’s name] (not living the house)”?

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


B Elaine Jones / The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order for your mom to add the names of her children to avoid probate, she would need to execute a Quit Claim Deed from herself, to herself, and the children (naming them) and making sure to put on the deed that you are Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship.  If you do this, it will automatically pass to the children upon your mother's death outside of probate.  Creditors will not be able to put a lien on the property after your mother's death.  However, any liens already on the property would have to be satisfied such as the mortgage.  Homestead Exemption is a separate issue.  You cannot claim Homestead Exemption if you do not reside in the home.  So if your mother passes away, unless one of the children move in and reside at the home, you will not be able to get the Homestead Exemption which saves you approximately $600 on your property taxes. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption