How do I go about finding a good family lawyer?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about finding a good family lawyer?

What questions should I ask? My ex wants to take me to court and file for full custody. She also wants to move to a county not listed in our decree. We have two kids and the decree states that each parent can claim one child on taxes. She now wants full custody, claim both kids, and move.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can start by contacting your local bar association and seeing if they have a referral service and / offer free consultation.  They may even have a booklet regarding interviewing an attorney.  You want some one who practices regularly in the field and who is a zealous advocate but who will not turn this in to something that it need not be.  You and your attorney need to make this about you and your ex and not involve the kids.  So remember to be on the up and up when you are around them.  Slamming your ex will only come back to haunt you.  Make sure that the attorney is up front about fees and costs and what this will entail.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption