How do I get the lowest level of punishment and possibility of expungement on a first offense shoplifting charge with no legal counsel?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the lowest level of punishment and possibility of expungement on a first offense shoplifting charge with no legal counsel?

I go to court in 2weeks facing this shoplifting charge. I will not have any legal counsel. I need to know what to do to appeal to the judge and leave that courtroom with the least amount of punishment possible.

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a court appearance concerning the shoplifting charge coming up in a few weeks it is best that you retain a criminal defense attorney to defend you concerning the matter as opposed to representing yourself.

The chances of getting what you desire in the end would be best achieved if you had a real estate attorney defending you in the matter. The best way to try and resolve the matter with as least impact upon you is to try and get court probation for the crime and if successful with the probation, then there might be a chance that the charge would be dismissed by the court.

The best way to get the lowest level of a sentence is to have a defense attorney represent you in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption