How do I get the judge to review a consent judgement case?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the judge to review a consent judgement case?

I signed a consent judgement 3 years ago. I am now having difficulty paying the given amount. I did not have an attorney and I really didn’t understand what I was doing. The company is no longer in business. I want to go before a judge to see if I can get some relief. I pay $450 per month and my balance doesn’t seem to going down at all. I am no longer in the house. I just want to go before a judge to see what help I can get.

Asked on January 3, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The time frame to vacate the judgement has, I am sure, already passed.  But I would consult with an attorney about modifying the judgement at this time given the facts in your case.  Generally speaking you need to show a change in circumstances to modify but if you can vacate still then you can show a type of inequality as to what happened. It is unclear exactly what you want to do here.  What was the judgement for?  You state that you are "no longer in the house."  Is this a mortgage? What does being in the house have to do with it all?  You need to seek out help here.  Someone needs to review the paperwork and what you consented to to see how they can help you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption