How do I get the insurance co. to pay the diminished value of my vehicle after their insured hit my vehicle? They have payed for the fix but that’s it.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the insurance co. to pay the diminished value of my vehicle after their insured hit my vehicle? They have payed for the fix but that’s it.

I purchased my 2016 truck new from the same dealer that fixed it after the accident. I furnished the paperwork from the new car dealer showing the diminished value with before and after evaluation but the state Farm insurance refuses to pay and just want me to go away.

Asked on November 7, 2017 under Accident Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In theory, you can sue for the diminished value; that would be the only way to get this amount, and be warned, it can be a very difficult claim to successfully make. You would need not just the copies of the valuation, but need an actual car expert to come to court and testify live (written evidence from people not testifying in court is almost always "heresay" and would not be admissible). The person would have to have examined your car thoroughly after the accident and be able to convince the court that based on his/her training, experience, examination and specific issues they identified, that the value is lower by $X. Only in very clear cut, persuasive cases might you win--the courts don't like diminished value cases, since they are so inherently subjective and subject to unknowable events in the future. (For example, since cars depreciate over time, the longer you own it, the lower its value *and* the lesser the difference in value due to the damage; if the car is in another accident in the future, that could moot any damage from this accident; etc.) But you'd presumably have to pay the expert to examine your car and testify, which could cost many hundreds of dollars. So you could spend a reasonable amount of money on a case which courts don't like and which is not guaranteed to win.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption