How do I get the claim paid to Auto Rental Co by at-fault driver’s insurance when they refuse to talk to each other?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the claim paid to Auto Rental Co by at-fault driver’s insurance when they refuse to talk to each other?

I was rear-ended while driving a rental car. I gave the other driver’s insurance
info to the Car rental Co. Months later Enterprise is dunning me for the money. I
have spent time on the phone with the at-fault driver’s insurer and they know
about the claim and say they will pay it, no problem when the claim details are
submitted. Enterprise says they haven’t been able to reach the insurance company.
Now, the bill is in collection and the collector in-house Enterprise just hung
up on me when I was asking about the situation. I really don’t want to pay over
500 for an accident that wasn’t my fault. What recourse do I have?
This happened in Atlanta.

Asked on May 31, 2016 under Accident Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to sue the at-fault driver for negligence.  Just filing the lawsuit may prompt the at-fault driver's insurance carrier to follow through on payment of the claim.  Since you were not at fault in the accident, you should not pay for damage to the rental car caused by the other driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption