How do I get something tested for contaminants?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get something tested for contaminants?

I bought some chips; they smelled funky. They were a new thing so, I tasted them. I spit out what I tasted. They are obviously contaminated with some sort of chemicals. I seem OK, upset stomach, nothing serious. However, I want to know what I’ve injested. What should I do?

Asked on March 23, 2016 under Personal Injury, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can have anything tested at your own expense by ck.tacting a local testing lab. Bear in mind that even if there is some contaminant, that, by itself, does mean you have a viable lawsuit. The law only provides compensation for actual medical costs, lost wages, and, for serious, long lasting illness or injury, some amount for pain and suffering. But if you only had some stomach upset, there is no point in suing--you would not get any compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption