How do I get someone removed from my residence/business?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get someone removed from my residence/business?

I own my building that I live in and run a business from. I asked my exgirlfriend to leave and she will not. she does not live there, pay rent or any bills or utilites; she is not on a lease. The building is paid off and in my name. She does not live there; she just stayed all night sometimes. Can she be allowed to stay if tries to prove she lives there? What are the requirements to prove residency?

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If someone has resided somewhere with permission, she can only be lawfully removed by the courts. However, that should not be difficult in this case: if she does not pay rent and did not have a lease, she is an invitee or a guest, not a tenant. A guest may remain only so long as she is given permission, and that permission may be withdrawn at any time. If she does not leave when asked to, to remove her, bring an ejectment action (eviction for non-tenants). An ejectment action is slightly more formal and complicated than a typical eviction--you are advised to let an attorney do this for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption