how do I get restitution

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do I get restitution

My atv was stolen and the guys who stole it were arrested. I still owe 6700 on the bike and it was still new. My bike was chopped and parted out. So now I have no bike and still have a big bill to pay. What can I do to get my bill paid or a bike of equal value?

Asked on July 31, 2016 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the people who stole your ATV, as well as anyone and any business which helped chop it up and dispose of it knowing (or when they reasonably should have known) that it was stolen. And, of course, if you have any relevant insurance, you can submit an insurance claim. Unfortunately, those are effectively the only ways to get compensation in a case like this (the state does not provide compensation for vehicle theft) which is why it is important to always have insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption