How doI get power of attorney?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get power of attorney?

I need to prevent moms bank account from being abused. I went to th bank and they tell me to get power of attorney?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Estate Planning, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to obtain a power of attorney where your mother delegates certain "powers" over herself and her business affairs is to consult with an attorney about the need for such with your mother and yourself and the reasons why such a document is needed.

The attorney will then have your mother enter into a written agreement with him or her for the task of preparing a power of attorney in your favor if that is her desire and assuming she is capable of knowingly understanding the significance of signing the requested document.

The attorney will then draft up the requested power of attorney setting forth the powers given to the person designated as her "attorney in fact where she would sign the document before either a notary public or several disinterested witnesses.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption