How do I get out of a lease?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out of a lease?

I’m in an apartment building. Me and one of my roommates got into a really serious argument. I told the community manager of the apartment building that I wanted to be remove from the apartment before I do something that would get me in a lot of trouble for. She told me that there’s no rooms available for me to move and that if I wanted to leave the apartment building, I would have to find someone to take over the lease. I know they can relieve me of the lease but they don’t want to that.

Asked on September 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot get out of a lease due to an argument with, or even threats from, your roomate: that is between you and your roommate, and the landlord is not responsible for the issues between the two of you. Remember, a lease is a contract; a party can only get out of a contract if the party on the other side of it--in this case, the landlord--breaches or violates the contract in some material, or important, way, such as by not providing you a habitable place to live, interfering with your use of your rental, etc. But actions by other people, including a roommate (i.e. someone else on your "side" of the lease/contract) does not represent a breach of contract and does not require the landlord to let you out of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption