How do I get out of a gym membership?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out of a gym membership?

I owe nothing to the gym. I fell on hard times and before my account was to be delinquent in September I went to the gym to speak to a rep. I asked them if they could freeze my membership until I could find work to pay. They said “We can’t do anything for you. Go to X, they are hiring.” There are no local jobs in my area. I am out of state living with family at the moment until further notice. I wrote them a letter 3 months ago stating the move and to cancel the contract. I am in collections and I do not want any trouble (I also never received a copy of the contract).

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You may only get out of the contract--

1) When it is up or expires;

2) If the contract provides that you may cancel or terminate it, and you do so in accordance with its terms; or

3) If the gym itself breached the contract in some material (important) way, such as by not providing the services or facilities you signed up for.

Apart from the above, you are bound or obligated under the contract for its full term, and the gym does not need to freeze your membership or do anything else for you which is not itself provided for in the contract, unfortunately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption