How do I get my name removed from a lease?

UPDATED: May 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my name removed from a lease?

My roommate was frightening me at home and I had to leave to feel safe; this was 2 months ago. My landlord knew about it and after several controls including a criminal background check (never heard such insanity), she accepted a new tenant. They were supposed to sign papers the week end he moved in. The new tenant and old roommate signed a contract. At that time, my ex-roommate was harrassing me, threatening me to take me to court or to send me the police. I am not guilty of anything but wanting to live in a safe place. Now, they are asking me for the new tenant’s rent and for 3 months until the end of the lease.

Asked on May 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you are on the written lease with your landlord and vacated the premises without a release from the landlord, you are responsible for the balance of your obligation under it.

If there is a new tenant in your place under the lease, then you should not be obligated under the balance of the lease you have from the date that the new tenant who replaced you moved in.

Given the claims still existing against you by the landlord, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney with respect to the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption