How do I get my ex to reimburse me for delinquent taxes that I paid?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex to reimburse me for delinquent taxes that I paid?

In our divorce decree we were ordered to pay a portion of delinquent taxes owed.

I paid my portion. He did not. When I filed my taxes the IRS took my refund and

put it toward what was owed. How do I get him to pay me back?

Asked on July 2, 2018 under Family Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The attorney is right, in that the mechanism to enforce is a motion to enforce the decree, whcih is a court order. Divorce decrees are legally enforceable, the same as any other court order. If he did not honor the decree, you can make a motion for the court to sanction (punish) him, such as with fines or potentially imprisonment, unless he fulfills his obligation. Unfortunately, a motion is the correct legal mechanism to enforce the decree; fortunately, you are allowed to file this motion yourself if you like. It may be a bit difficult for a layperson, but it's far from impossible, especially since the factual situation is a straighforward one. Download a copy of the court rules and also call the court clerk's office and explain that your ex did not honor the decree and ask for instructions: you should be able to handle this without your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption