How do I get my ex-girlfriend toreimburse me for her share of unpaid expenses on our house?

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex-girlfriend toreimburse me for her share of unpaid expenses on our house?

She is on the title and  the mortgage but has not paid anything for a year. What can I do? I moved in about 5 years ago and put down 20% on the house myself with my own money. At the time we were together, so I put her on the title and the mortgage. We had a deal where she would pay half and I would pay half of the mortgage. Since then we have broken up and have not been together for over a year and a half. However since the economy took a crash I can barley afford my half let alone hers. She has not payed anything in over a year. I had to go to my parents for help with her half. So what can I do to get her out? Plus, to get the money back? What if she files bankruptcy?

Asked on November 10, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well, you can sue her for the money that she owes you for payment on the morgtage from the time that she left until the present.  But it sounds as if you may want to consider selling the house rather than to struggle each month and worry about foreclosure. Maybe by suing her you could get some leverage to having her relinquish rights to the house or reducing the amount that she may get from the sale of the property?  And perhaps you can work out an agreement that makes sure that you are paid back your 20% down payment off the top (do you have a paper trail that the money came from you and your accounts?).  Seek some help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption