How do I get my ex-girlfriend to move out of my house?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my ex-girlfriend to move out of my house?

My girl friend has been living me with for the last 2 months and paid monthly rent, we no longer go out.

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since your ex-girlfriend has paid you rent she will be considered to be a tenant, if there was not formal lease. In order to legally remove her you now need to deliver to your ex a written notice (30 days is typically sufficient).  If she does not leave by the specified date, you can then file an "unlawful detainer action" (i.e. eviction lawsuit) .  If the court rules in your favor, she will then be ordered by the court to vacate the premises.  If she doesn't then the sheriff will remove her, forcibly if necessary.

In the meantime do not undertake any "self-help" measures such as changing the locks, etc. If you do you could find yourself on the wrong side of an unlawfule eviction lawsuit.  Right now you should contact a real estate attorney. They can best advise you of the correct procedure to go about all of this. You can also contact the local court to see if they have a pamphlet/website that gives this information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption