How do I get my employer to pay travel expenses as promised?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my employer to pay travel expenses as promised?

I an considered an independent contractor for this company who send me out on different demo events. I was

brought to the company by my mom. I told them areas I may be willing to travel to, and the owner asked me if I can do a weekend event in a city that is 90 miles away. She said that if I can do this event she will pay me a certain

amount per day for gas. It was a three day event and I agreed to that amount. 1 week later I received a check without the travel pay on there. I have been calling and emailing since and her assistant keeps saying he has no update for me yet, and she is not responding to my emails. They are a small company but my mom said that they do make promises like that and ‘forget’ to pay you back but that I need to keep pressing them. I really need that money so how can I make them pay me?

Asked on October 31, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get the money would be to sue your employer: there is no agency, government department, etc. that will take steps to get this money for you. You would sue her for "breach of contract": for violating her agreement to pay you for the travel. If the amount at stake is less than the limit for small claims court, you would be well-advised to sue in small claims, on a pro se  (as your own attorney) basis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption