How do I get my dog back from my mother/landlord?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my dog back from my mother/landlord?

My mother is my previous landlord; she is also the breeder of the dog. All the paperwork (his vet bill, his shot record, and his microchip) is in my name, which I have with me. However, my mother kicked me out and claims I abandoned the dog so she will not let me have him back.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you did not in fact abandon the dog (e.g. there is no evidence of abandonment; for example, you didn't leave a note telling your mother to keep the dog, or you didn't refuse to pick it up after she  asked you to do so), then it's your property, and what your mother is doing is stealing. You have two options: you could try going to the police and accusing your mother of theft; or, if you don't want to do that (or if you do, but the police refuse to get involved, feeling it's a domestic dispute, not a criminal matter), you could sue your mother, seeking a court order forcing her to return the animal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption