How do I get my credit collections bill down to what I actually owe?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my credit collections bill down to what I actually owe?

This debt agency has been contacting me for 2 years and the bill is from 3 years ago. There is 2 names on the bill but only my SSN. So their only contacting me instead of both of us. Myself and the 3rd party have seperated but this is from a daycare that our children were attending while we were together.They state that I owe $4,500 and I have submitted receipts to bring it down to $2,260 already; the business has no proof on how they came up with the $4,500 total.

Asked on March 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to be aware that under the laws of all states in this country, there is a time period for a person to file a lawsuit for the money owed allegedly. This is called the statute of limitations. Possibly the claim against you could be time barred by your state's statute of limitations.

As to the claim that you owe $4,500 where you believe you owe only $2,260, I would send documentation to the third party debt company with a detailed letter explaining your position. Keep the letter for future reference and need.

You might consider consulting with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer debt protection to assist you in your matter. One problem is that you and the other person listed on the debt may be jointly and severally responsible for the total claimed even though you have seemingly paid down your share to $2,260.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption