How do I get legally connected to my girlfriend without marriage.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get legally connected to my girlfriend without marriage.

Marriage is not an option for us. We are looking for the legal commitment a marriage provides but without the marriage. Reasons – purchasing a house together, estate planning, medical decisions, etc. Options?

Asked on December 12, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So be careful in Texas because it still recognizes common law marriages and if you ever hold yourselves out as married it could get sticky. What you need to do is see a good estate planner and speak with a lawyer every time you enter in to a legal contract together.  For example, buying a house together in Texas. Some attorneys there state your marital status in the deed, which is not required but maybe a good idea.  Then state how you wish the property to pass when one of you passes on: "rights of survivorship" or not.  Good luck  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption