How do I get HR to release schedules and or receipts for the time I worked for them in lieu of small rental space?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get HR to release schedules and or receipts for the time I worked for them in lieu of small rental space?

I worked for about 8 years, doing everything a paid employee did except for running the register at an antique mall for minimum wage to be credited to my booth rental. I kept a notebook that I signed in and out of. We parted ways and management took the notebook and HR refuses to give it back or give copies, etc. So I asked for receipts or proof of payment of booth rental and they refuse.

Asked on July 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They do not need to provide this to you unless there is litigation (a lawsuit; e.g. you sue them, or they sue you) or some other legal proceeding (e.g. an IRS audit) where this information is relevant AND in the course of that litigation or other proceeding, the legal mechanisms of "discovery" (such as subpoenas, document production requests, or written interrogatories or questions) are used to get the documentation. Only in a legal proceeding, using legal mechanisms to get relevant information, could they be required to provide this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption