How doI get a judgement removed from my credit report ifI can’t locate the person who filed it?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI get a judgement removed from my credit report ifI can’t locate the person who filed it?

I was living with a former boyfriend 4 years ago. I was paying my half of the rent on time but he wasn’t and the land lord failed to tell me. He filed a disposessory notice which i answered to because I didn’t want to be evicted. I moved out and the ex stayed and a new lease was written. I applied for a mortgage and a judgement for $1500 popped up and the land lord is no where to be found. The rental co no longer exists. He wrote something in writing in the past to a former landlord stating this matter was resolved but I can’t get that paper from the company and I can’t find the former landlord.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

One way to try and get the judgment against you removed from your credit report is to go down to the court house where it is filed and get all information that you can as to the judgment creditor from the court file and try to make contact with him based upon his last known address in the court file.

If you are unsuccessful in this manner, go to the county recorder's office and pull up his name on the computer. You should be able to get an address for him as to the property that he has in the county where you were renting from him. By getting such an address, you can then write him seeking to pay off the judgment in exchange for a full satisfaction of judgment that he would sign and you file in the court house where the judgment is against you. You can then send a copy of the full satisfaction to the credit reporting company to get the judgment off of your credit report.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption