How do i get a copy of my mom will?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i get a copy of my mom will?

She lived in Havre Montana

Asked on September 10, 2016 under Estate Planning, Montana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Once the Will is filed with the probate court it becomes a matter of public record so you, or anyone else for that matter, can get a copy of it (for a small fee). Even if it has not yet been filed, as a beneficiary of the Will, you are entitled to see a copy. And, even if you are not a named benefciary (i.e. you were disinherited), you would still be entitled to view it because as a child you are what is known as an "interested party". This means that you would have inherited as an heir if there had not been a Will. At this point, you can contact the probate court in the county in which your mother died for further advise. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption